Telegram Community Marketing Guide: How To Build A Strong Crypto Community
May 30, 2022
In the crypto and web 3 worlds, a community serves as a solid foundation for success of the project, and major crypto brands already place a great emphasis on developing an active community. A thriving community is also a low-cost marketing strategy for spreading the word about your crypto project in front of your potential customers.
Because of their speed, versatility, and security, Telegram groups are regarded as one of the preferred social platforms for building a crypto community. Several well-known crypto projects and influencers use their Telegram groups to engage with their target audience.
The messaging platform can help spread the word about your cryptocurrency project and, gain more followers, educate your community members, and the organic growth of your brand and community. These are only a few of the factors why the crypto community adores Telegram.
Telegram stats you should know about:
- The platform gained 320 million monthly active users between December 2017 and April 2022. Which is more than a 270% increase in users.
- As of January 2022, Telegram is the sixth most popular instant messaging app.
- The messenger app has a slightly younger audience; 41% of users are between the ages of 14 and 34.
Telegram community basics
Telegram groups: A community on Telegram is called a group. Telegram groups can be public or private and have up to 200,000 members.
Telegram channels: Telegram channels are similar to groups, except that channels are used for broadcasting, and only admins can post messages. A Telegram channel can be linked to a Telegram group and have no user limit
Admins: Telegram allows you to add admins with customized permissions to assist you with community management.
Pinned messages: Admins and users who have permission can pin specific messages at the top of the group.
Telegram Passport: Telegram Passport is an excellent feature to store frequently used essential documents that can be accessed when KYC is required.
Why is Telegram so popular for crypto marketing?
There are several advantages of utilizing Telegram for your crypto community:
- Joining a group on Telegram is very easy; if your followers already have an account, all they have to do is tap/click on the invitation link of your project's group.
- You can add bots in your channel that can ease administration by providing automated moderation and features like games, automated responses, payment, etc.
- You can pin messages with links to enable your community members learn more about your brand.
- Telegram community management is simple; channel administrators can change information, delete messages, ban users, add new mods, and so on from their settings.
- Your team members can reply swiftly to feedback and inquiries from your community members.
10 Valuable Telegram marketing strategies for crypto communities
Establish clear community guidelines
Define clear and concise guidelines for your Telegram group, and strictly implement these guidelines in your community. Having clear guidelines is critical for you since it promotes a healthy climate in your community.
Actively monitor the activities and chats, and if you notice that a user is not respecting the guidelines, send them a private message alerting them of the problem, or ban them from your community for repeated offences.
Promote your Telegram channel on other platforms
Design an outreach strategy for your Telegram community. Include a Telegram invite link on your official website, blogs, press releases, and your social media profiles. You can also join crypto groups and discussion forums relevant to your niche and share links to your groups whenever possible without being labeled spam.
You can also contact the website or forum administrators and seek permission to advertise your crypto group on their platform. Some platforms might allow you to advertise your community for free, while others may require paid advertising for channel marketing, so have a dedicated budget for outreach.
You can also add your community to public telegram directories to increase your community's online presence. Moreover, it won't cost you much time or money to add your brand to these directories.
Telegram public directories you can use:
Create and share quality content
Creating and sharing high-quality content allows you to build enthusiasm while also educating your audience about your brand and its goals. Create compelling visual content (videos, infographics, pictures) related to your project's technology, your objective, information about your token, market trends, your project's roadmap, etc.
Make a content calendar and publish content in your community on a regular basis. Remember that the quantity of content you share every day is unimportant, so prioritize quality over quantity. Organize weekly AMA meetings with your project's creators to listen to your followers' feedback, doubts, and questions. Instead of viewing your community as a one-sided information dump, create an interactive atmosphere for the members.
Add new admins and mods for community management
When your community starts growing, it can become hard for you and your team members to manage so many users at once.
You can work with a community manager or a digital marketing agency to monitor your group chats and help you safeguard your community members from scams and frauds that could happen under your name. As your community grows, you should hire new admins and mods to assist you in managing it. You can also ask your community's original members to assist and oversee the conversations.
Maintain active engagement in your Telegram channel
By actively communicating your brand purpose, you can foster a sense of belonging among your community members. Your members can have different interests; they can be crypto enthusiasts, miners, crypto investors, developers, etc. It is essential to value each member equally.
Listen to their feedback, respond appropriately, and let them know how important each community member is to your project.
Few strategies to maintain active engagement in your community:
- Encourage your audience to create content and memes about you.
- Post a welcome message for every new member joining your community. You can automate this process using Telegram bots.
- Ask them to share their success stories and achievements involving your project.
- Create polls for taking feedback from your audience
- Listen to their suggestions and thank them for their feedback.
Create referral programs for your existing community members
A referral program, just like word of mouth, encourages the current members of your crypto community to spread the word about your project. A referral marketing strategy can be wonderful things for your community and your project as it promotes your project organically rather than through paid advertising. Moreover, new members are more inclined to join your community if someone refers them to your channel.
Ask your community members to share your community's invite link to their friends and other communities in which they are active. Announce the referral program on your social media channels and website, and reward users by either whitelisting them for your next drop or rewarding them with your NFT or token into their wallet.
Use Telegram stickers
On Telegram, you can create personalized sticker packs free of cost and use them as an engagement tool for your community. You can create stickers that include your logos, specific terminology related to what your audience uses, your project's mascot, visuals related to your project, etc.
Stickers can be an excellent tool for your project as they are easy to use and a widely popular feature of Telegram. Your audience can download and use these sticker packs in conversation inside and outside your community, ultimately becoming brand ambassadors of your crypto project.
Actively host events on your Telegram channel
Your community members can get bored by having serious discussions all the time. Hence it is crucial to have some fun activities within your Telegram community.
Event ideas for your channel:
- Create NFT or token giveaways.
- Gamify the interaction to reward XP or level up active members.
- Organize community meetings to discuss topics unrelated to your project.
- Host real-world community meetups and events.
- Create a quiz competition within your Telegram group.
- Host hackathons for the developers.
Add Telegram bots to your community
Bots are programs that can automate specific tasks with minimal human interference. Bots can help you with a wide variety of management tasks, such as assisting your community managers with moderation, adding new group info, sharing announcements, creating polls, sharing important stats, etc.
How to add a bot to a Telegram channel?
1. Launch the Telegram app on your phone.
2. Click on the contacts icon.
3. In the search bar, type in the bot's name you want to add @[botname].
4. Click on the bot name to open the chat window.
5. Click on the bot's profile image.
6. Click on "Add to Group" and select the groups you want to add the bot to.
7. Verify and tap "yes" to add the bot to the desired groups.
Keep analyzing your community data
It is critical to assess the effectiveness of your community management strategy. You should actively evaluate your KPIs to determine which activities are successful and which are not, as well as what your audience is most interested in.
Questions to ask while analyzing your data:
- Total participation of your users in a discussion?
- Which type of content is getting more impression and engagement?
- What is the overall engagement of your community?
- How many users are clicking on the posted links
- How many referrals are you getting weekly and monthly?
Should you work with a Telegram community management agency?
Now that you understand the potential of Telegram to build a solid community and the steps to take, it's time for you to create and grow your own community. You can work with in-house community managers to build your team, but keep in mind that it can be expensive because you will need to hire multiple individuals and purchase tools.
Alternatively, you can hire a marketing agency that knows what they're doing and whose sole focus will be on growing your community with like-minded individuals. A community management agency can also help you save time and resources.
You might also like: